I am not a MS SQL Server guru. Honestly, it is a “set it and forget it” technology for me. After our last patching episode, we ended up with a SQL Server Agent offline, and our msdb file was listed as suspect. Seems like there are 2 ways to recover from this. 1 restore a backup, or two recreate with this method. Since we had a backup from the night before, we started with this method.
- First, we restored the msdb file from Symantec Backup Exec to another SQL server as a user database. Since it was the middle of the day, and we could not take down the SQL server, we wanted to get a copy of the the MSDBData.mdf and MSDBlog.ldf files. This was the quickest way to do it.
- We stopped the SQL server, moved the suspect msdb files aside, and placed the restored versions in the right place.
- Started the SQL Server, and SQL Server Agent came back online. All seems happy